To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Capehart

Bob,

Do you know the approximate tracking mass of the Capehart pick up? I am guess it is probably 25 to 40 grams? The RCA Chromium needles would be a concern on the 10-50 or other Victor automatics that use the #5 acoustic Orthophonic reproducer (tracking at a whopping 130 grams or so) but assuming that the Capehart's pickup is something like 25 to 40 grams I can't imagine the RCA Chromium needles would be an issue. I recall reading an RCA patent (which I can't specifically call to mind right now) concerning the use of chromium on the needles which briefly discussed the issue of the relatively low mass of electrical pickups versus the higher mass of the acoustic reproducers.

The Victor Soft or Full Tungs~Tone stylus would be ideal for the Capehart as well as most of the early electrical pickups. I can't say I would recommend the Extra Loud Tungs~Tone stylus simply because they are quite aggressive. Others swear by them. Whatever you choose, I would stay as far away from jeweled styli (sapphires, diamonds, etc.) as possible. Sapphires and diamonds would be great if only the designs of the early pickups were better.

I have a feeling I am in Dr. Bogantz's area of expertise here...Perhaps he will jump in.

Walt

RBaumbach wrote:
Tungstone needles are probably the best choice for either the 10-50 or the Capehart, and were recommended by both manufacturers. In the mid-thirties Capehart recommended the RCA Chromium needles, but some collectors feel that these are hard on records. Both the Tungstone and Chromium needles are still rather plentiful. There is a more comprehensive discussion of needles on the bonus page for the Capehart book (see page 5).

Contact me privately regarding the owner's manual and schematics.

Bob