Thanks for info regarding the Capehart & various types of needles.   I
shall seek some Victor tungstone needles - anyone have some for sale?
Wear on 78rpm records (mainly those made in USA, especially Victor) from
mid 1930s on is exascerbated by extreme treble pre-emphasis and
a higher frequency rollover in bass in the recording curve which made
possible a large increase in dynamic range.    The accellerations of the
loudest higher frequencys were awsome.  By the early 1940s when a less
radical recording curve was used together with various electronic limiters
in the recording process, record wear decreased but at the cost of dynamic
range -  piano fortissimi & symphonic tuttis become an undifferentiated
roar without the clarifying spikes of peak sounds.    These practises
continued at RCA into the early LP era.   I think pre-1935 78s & post 1942
78s will be best to play on the Capehart.

   Jim Cartwright

  Immortal Performances

jim...@earthlink.net

functioning & sounds great & is fun to watch as it changes
> records.   I have noticed quite a bit of "needle noise" in the magnetic
pickup when the volume is turned down even though the pickup
> has been restored.   Is this endemic to a properly performing Capehart as
I suspect because all the doors to the record playing
> compartment are sealed with rubber gaskets, presumable to contain
mechanical noise or does the pickup need further work?   Also,
> where can one obtain needles for playing large numbers of 78s without
being changed in the Capehart or Orthophonic Victrola 1050?
> I have Mr. Baumbach's excellent book on the Capeharts without which the
repairman who usually works on 1950s & 1960s hifi gear
> would have been completely at sea in working on the Capehart changer but
would like to obtain copies of the owner's manual &
> schematics of the tuner & amplifiers.

Jim Cartwright

Immortal Performances