Hi Mike,
It's not the horn that needs paint. There's a big chip on the gear cover and a couple on the body casting just above the Edison logo. I agree with you on touchup. If I can't get it perfect I won't do it. The nice thing about using nail polish is that you can remove it fairly easily without disturbing the original paint.
Bob
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Stitt" <smst...@gmail.com>
To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 1:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Paint for a Maroon Gem

Bruce is right.
Napa will mix it and put it in a spray can. However If you get it wrong it
will bug you more, and devalue the horn. If the whole horn needs repainting is one thing. Touch up hardly ever works. I'm from the leave it alone school and I love the battle scars. I never thought 85 year old women wearing make up looked right. Men too. 95% of the time the best care to an antique is do nothing. Do nothing you cannot reverse. Love that horn for it's well earned
patina, imho.
Oldcranky