The poor London model of Edison's Diamond Disc machine looks like it had been
tortured. The vertical section was there afterall, but a cable, wood block and
some other things (part going into the horn) were missing. Someone had SOLDERED
the horn on the top to another piece (sloppy shiney solder), I guess to keep it
from dragging...poor soul of a machine. My impression is that without ALL the
parts, there would be stress on both the record grooves and the diamond
reproducer, which would be forced to take on the burden of moving the heavy
pieces across the record...at least that's the way it seems to me.

Needless to say, the machine still sits with the seller...who is now a bit
wiser, since I shared the photo and what I knew with her. She seemed not at all
disappointed and actually fascinated to learn something about the poor mess.

As for its WEIGHT. I've got an "AH-HAH!" I took the flashlight and checked out
the left side where the 24 slots for records was. I could see that 2, that's
TWO, thick metal weights were in place behind the slots. They went across the
back, one high, one low. This was probably to balance the weight of the phono
in the right-sided compartment. BOTH sides were equally heavy, and I mean
heavy! I could not lift one corner. Wow, was all I could say.

But again. This was a fun adventure and learning experience which didn't cost
many bucks. It would not have been either without the help of this great group.
:)

I will, however, now keep an eye out for an Edison (table model) which could
play my records! And I think I know a little bit about how these machines
work...not a lot, but enough probably to just get into more trouble. LOL Oh,
and I will wash the records with denatured alcohol before I put them away.

One last question on STORAGE: Store records flat, right?
But what do you put between them, and is a paper box OK ?

Thank you all,
Ger