My first Edison was also a BC-34, first laid eyes on it in 1976 when I was 14, in the back of a pickup truck at a flea market. Beautifully preserved original-finish machine with the bronze finish reproducer and metal parts. It had the 10 and 12 buttons for stopping the reproducer at the ten or twelve inch start position. I couldn't afford the $135 for the machine, so I bought several DD records. It only took me a few seconds of trying to play one on my steel-needle machine at home, to realize that there was no choice but to go back and buy the machine.

I horse-traded whatever I owned and somehow raised the cash and went back the following weekend. I found the seller but no BC-34. Turns out he still had it and (for understandable reasons) decided not to cart it back to the flea. I got directions to his house, and met up with him the next day. I really had to twist my older brother's arm to allow me to put it in the back of his hatchback Mustang. I can't imagine how we shoe-horned it in there, but somehow we did. I'm sure I fussed about jamming cardboard everywhere, because we got it home without a scratch.

My big prize, and a red letter day in my early phonograph collecting life. I played that machine incessantly. Just a memory now, as it was destroyed in 1992 by Hurricane Andrew. By that time, it was with a friend in Miami, as I had moved to Santa Fe 9 years earlier.

Andy Baron

On Dec 27, 2009, at 4:49 PM, Tom Jordan wrote:

I found a BC 34 console phonograph many years ago stuffed in the back room of an antique store with a bunch of old sewing machines. They didn't know what it was and sold it to me for $40.00. It was first phonograph and it got me started collecting. I still listen to it today as I work in my home
office.
Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org [mailto:phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org ] On
Behalf Of DanKj
Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:11 PM
To: Antique Phonograph List
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] The last word on Diamond Discs...I think

Too bad you didn't get some pics of it - I wanted to see what made it seem such a mess. The solder is supposed to be there, as Ron L'H said, and if there was anything running into the horn it was just a volume control, which

I remove anyway because it muffles the sound. The straps behind the slots sound correct, too. Except for the missing grill, how bad is the cabinet?

You might be disappointed to learn that the few Edison table models are less common than floor models and they're HEAVY, awkward things. My Chalet
weighs about 70 pounds, and my B-80 nearly as much.