Jim,

This is only my personal experience - - which may be counter to everyone else's.

We had a 2002 Toyota Rav 4 which we liked very much until last summer when the
transmission self-destructed at 120,000 miles.  (I'm a stickler for maintenance
- - our other vehicle is a Chevy Astro van with 244,000 miles on it and
continues to deliver daily dependability.)  Our Rav 4 received regular
maintenance including tranny flushes every 30,000 miles, and I had the service
records.  But it turned out that Toyota was having "software problems" and the
computer was sending bad signals to the transmission which caused it to shift
at inappropriate times and resulted in its destruction.  The Toyota dealer who
evaluated the problem said that they've been seeing this problem a lot in Rav
4s, and had received several "Dealer Alerts" from Toyota on the subject.  The
guy knew what the problem was on the phone even before I brought in the
vehicle!  Bottom line: despite this being a manufacturer's defect, Toyota did
not stand behind the product since it was off warranty.  The only o
 ption they offered us was to replace the entire transmission for $4500.00.  We
dumped the Rav 4 that week and bought a new Subaru Forester (which has loads of
cargo capacity).  So far so good with the Forester - - it's superb in the snow
and gets 29-30 mpg on the highway.

Anyhow, although we've had 2 Toyotas in the past, I don't see us ever buying
another simply because of the dependability issue we (and reportedly many
others) experienced.  Had the company stood behind the problem, I'd feel
differently.

As long as you're driving a 1969 GMC pickup, it's suggestive that you're not
wed to driving a new vehicle.  I'd recommend finding a good used Chevy Astro
van (they're no longer being manufactured).  The 4.3 V-6 is a fabulous motor,
and the transmissions are virtually bulletproof (ours is the original).  More
than adequate cargo room, and all dry, cozy, and heated/air conditioned.  I've
owned two since 1988 and loved them both.  When my present one dies, I'll
follow my own advice and look for another one.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

George P.