Can anyone give me the lowdown on jukebox needles? I bought some new old stock Cole's coin machine needles with osmium tips. The package says the needle lasts many plays and doesn't have to be rotated. I'm also curious about the shape of the needle. A couple of millimeters up from the point, the metal is flattened into a pointed oval like a cobra head and then resumes being cylindrical. What is that for?

Osmium is nearly as hard as tungsten and I've seen some references to people cutting their own needles from tungsten wire and forming the point by rubbing the cut end in a record groove while rotating it (which seems astonishing).

Is such hardness a good idea in a needle, or does it cause excessive record wear? If these jukebox needles are safe to use, how do I tell when it's time to change one?

Best regards,

Chris