From: Vinyl Visions <vinyl.visi...@live.com>
To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
Sent: Fri, November 12, 2010 4:33:43 AM
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Original or restored?

I love original, but that being said, I really get a positive vibe from taking
something that looks ready for the junkyard and "preserving" it for
posterity...
You never want to mess with a machine that appears original, working properly,
etc. except maybe for some cosmetic issues.

Two examples of necessary restoration: I bought an H19 Edison, which I hate the
style of, just because it was sitting in an antiques shop for $60, with a grill
broken into pieces like a puzzle and a huge oil stain on the top - but
exceptional wood grain showing below. I spent hours on it and put the grill
back
together by first gluing the pieces to a heavy file folder, then cutting out
the
openings with an exacto and filling in the cracks with bondo. When I was
through, I took it to a collector friend who told me it was the best H19 grill
he had seen in 40 yrs. The point is, I got something out of fixing it and then
got rid of it to a new owner who was very happy to have it. It wasn't about
money, because I spent way more time than the machine was worth, but I learned
some valuable restoration methods. I also replaced a leg on a sad Aberola 75
which had fallen off a truck and broke a front leg. Someone had nailed and
Elmer
glued it back together and it looked like s**t. It is
  very hard to remove a front leg on an Edison because of the way it was built
with pegs into the frame. A thin kerfed hand saw did the trick for removing it
and I made a copy from a leg off a derelict no name phonograph. When done, you
couldn't tell that it was replaced. Two mediocre machines were restored for new
owners, but the education was well worth it for me.