From: phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org [mailto:phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org] On
Behalf Of Rich
Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2011 12:42 AM
To: Antique Phonograph List
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] FW: Frozen mandrel bearing

Potmetal continues to grow until it just crumbles. Reaming is a
temporary fix. As someone else pointed out the bearing has probably been
lubed with 3 in 1 in the red can which is a pure mineral oil with no
rust or oxidation inhibitors and just soaking with Kroil will usually
get it going again. Not all potmetal of that period is defective.
Oxidized 3 in 1 is a powerful adhesive though.

On 07/08/2011 08:31 PM, Steven Medved wrote:

> If I remember correctly the home and triumph pot metal bearings are thick,
I would think if the shaft could be removed the bearing could be reamed out
to the correct size and it could be used.  Has anyone ever tried this? Steve