This is my opinion, I do not know if the pot metal or the bass would work
better.  I used the roller bearing on my standard D. Some pot metal holds up
very well.  The diamond B, diamond C and the late large dome tops are good
examples of this.  I have had some people think the early diamond C with the
brass tube had a brass top when the diamond C never had a brass top.  I have
had two people tell me their late large dome tops were brass when only the
first flat top O had a brass top.   Victor was the same way the early ortho
reproducers mostly swell while the later ones made for the suitcase machines
can be mostly easily taken apart.  Impurities cause pot metal to swell and even
on the most swollen large tops, the early dome top is the works, the structural
integrity is normally good even with the surface distortions.   If the pot
metal works why replace it?   I had the bearing on my triumph nickel plated so
it looks nice, I do not like the look of the brass.
 Steve> CC: phono-l@oldcrank.org