This is getting off the topic of phonographs, but there actually were quite a few light bulb inventors before Edison that put filaments into evacuated glass bulbs and patented their ideas. Edison's bulb was considered practical when he came up with a filament that was bright enough, would last long enough, and could be produced at a cost reasonable enough to be commercially successful.

-- Greg Farmer

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Nichol" <jnic...@fuse.net>
To: "Antique Phonograph List" <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Phono-L] Little Known Facts About Edison :)

This is my pet peeve! Edison DID invent the light bulb. To say he only perfected it is ridiculous. By definition, a light bulb consists of a glass bulb with a filament inside. Only Edison had that. This would be like saying that whoever invented "stairs" also invented the escalator, because the fact that the "moving" part is not significant to the definition of "escalator".

I think it is most telling that no one was selling light bulbs before Edison, and that Swan had actually stopped working on the light bulb before he saw what Edison did. Then he suddenly started crying that Edison stole his idea. Heck, for all the success that Swan had, he might as well have put a candle in a glass globe.

Jim