There were a number of direct drive phono motors made back in the 78rpm days. The General Industries "Flyer" models are among the most common. Other ones that I can think of were used in Webster-Chicago players and changers. These motors date from the 1930s, up to WWII. They are 90 degree worm gear drives direct to the platter spindle. They are robust and would easily drive a platter under the drag of an acoustic reproducer. Most of them were originally used with the old horseshoe magnetic pickups that tracked at the same force as acoustic reproducers. Another option would be to use an induction disc motor from the late 1920s such as used by Victor and Edison (motor made by GE). These are also direct drive and pretty readily available from phono boneyard parts dealers.

Greg Bogantz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Vinyl Visions" <vinyl.visi...@live.com>
To: <phono-l@oldcrank.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 11:23 PM
Subject: [Phono-L] Turntable Motor Question

I am at my wits end, trying to find someone who can rewind/fix a motor for my Fairy Phonograph Lamp. What I am considering as a temporary fix (not altering the original parts in any way) was to use a 78 rpm turntable motor from a jukebox. Does anyone know of a direct drive type motor that would handle the weight of a 12" steel turntable and the resulting drag from the acoustic reproducer and steel needle? I have been researching the original Fairy motor for over 8 months and cannot find anything about it regarding amps, hp and rpms - there is no tag on any of the three that I have looked at. I am restoring a second Fairy lamp that has the same motor problem as my first one - motor spins, but slows to a stop with any load. I have been told that the motor is a strange one since it is wound for three different types of power. Parts for these phonos are non-existent, thus the idea of using a strong jukebox turntable motor which is already running at 78 rpms. The original motor has a resistor to cut the power and uses a pulley - governor - worm screw to meshed gear transmission to run the turntable and the speed is controlled by a simple brake mechanism. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Curt