From: phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org [mailto:phono-l-boun...@oldcrank.org] On
Behalf Of Arvin Casas
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 2:58 PM
To: phono-l@oldcrank.org
Subject: [Phono-L] Weird things to do just for a part.

Hi All,

I have a weird question.  In the process of restoring or acquiring pieces
for your phonographs, have sellers asked you to do "odd things" beyond
cutting a check?

I'm trying to restore my Columbia-Kolster Viva-Tonal 950 and found a guy on
youtube who has a speaker that matches what my 950 used to have.

I contacted the seller, we negotiated a price.  I tried to send him payment
through my bank's electronic system (kinda like Paypal but not so many fees)
but he said he had been "ripped off" that way and refused payment.

Complying with his wishes, I was in the midst of cutting him a paper check
(this time written by my bank and delivered by courier) when he backed out
saying the whole thing was "fishy."

This seller, Gary in Wisconsin, now wants me to shoot my own youtube video
showing me and my 950 to prove that I exist. It's a little more than I'm
comfortable doing.

(Despite the fact that I'm often compared to Cary Grant, I'm not
particularly fond of videoing myself and posting them publicly.)

Gary says all the radio people do it, so I should too.

Has anybody else been put through the wringer like this just for a part?
Those of you who cross dabble with Radios, do you often video yourself on
youtube?

My faith in humanity was sucker punched by this weirdness.  Just wondering
what others think and what other stories people might like to share, odd,
weird, or otherwise.

Best Wishes from Massachusetts!

Arvin