<?php
/*
Hi,

    I'm new to PHP and am having trouble understanding how to use PHP
sessions.  My book tells in near the beginning how to start them and register
session variables, but I can't figure out how to destroy a session or later
read those session variables.  I'm also trying to do this across frames, but
can't even get it to work within a single page.

Here's what I've learned so far and what my problems are:
*/

/* To start a session */
session_start();

/* To register a session variable */
session_register("myvar");
$myvar = "some value";

/*
PROBLEM #1:  From the above commands, I get a $PHPSESSID that seems to be
globally available for use, but I cannot seem to read my values back out of
the registered session variable from anywhere...  I tried:
*/

print "$myvar\n";   /* and absolutely nothing is printed */

/* To destroy a session */
session_destroy();

/*
PROBLEM #2:  This says there is no session to destroy.  It's rather strange
because I can still print the $PHPSESSID value..

I've attached my code...

*/
?>
<?php

/*=====<< Check for New User Session >>=====*/
if(!isset($PHPSESSID))
{
  session_start();
  session_register("UserName");
  session_register("UserPage");
  $UserName = "guest";
  $UserPage = "Home";
};

/*=====<< Main Switchboard for Pages >>=====*/
include "includes/bodyhead.html";
switch($action)
{
  case "Home":
    ShowHome();
    break;
  case "Login":
    ShowLogin();
    break;
  case "AuthUser":
    AuthUser($UserName, $UserPassword);
    break;
  case "Logout":
    ShowLogout();
    break;
  default:
    ShowMessage("Service Not Yet Implemented");
    break;
}
include "includes/bodyfoot.html";

/*=====<< Function To Show Home Page >>=====*/
function ShowHome()
{
  include "includes/home.html";
}

/*=====<< Function To Show Login Page >>=====*/
function ShowLogin()
{
  print "<form type=put action=right.php>\n";
  print "<input type=hidden name=action value=AuthUser>\n";
  print "<table border=1 width=100%>\n";
  print "</table>\n";

  print "<table align=center>\n";
  print "<tr>\n";
  print "<td align=center><input type=text name=UserName length=16
maxlength=16></td>\n";
  print "</tr>\n";
  print "<tr>\n";
  print "<td align=center><input type=password name=UserPassword length=16
maxlength=16></td>\n";
  print "</tr>\n";
  print "<tr>\n";
  print "<td align=center> </td>\n";
  print "<td align=center><input type=submit name=UserLogin value='USER
LOGIN'></td>\n";
  print "</tr>\n";
  print "</table>\n";

  print "<table border=1 width=100%>\n";
  print "<tr><td bgcolor=yellow align=center>UNAUTHORIZED ENTRY IS PUNISHABLE BY
LAW</td></tr>\n";
  print "</table>\n";
  print "</form>\n";
}

/*=====<< Function Authenticate User (from Login Page) >>=====*/
function AuthUser($User, $User)
{
  if($User == "guest")
  {
    ShowMessage("For guest users, authorization is not required.  However, priviledges
are limited.");
  }
  else
  {
    ShowMessage("Authorization Feature Not Yet Implemented");

/*=====<< Function To Logout User >>=====*/
function ShowLogout()
{
  ShowMessage("Your Session Has Been Terminated.\nThank You for Properly Logging Out,
$UserName!");
  session_destroy();
}

/*=====<< Function To Show Generic Messages >>=====*/
function ShowMessage($message)
{
  print "<br>\n";
  print "<table border=2 align=center>\n";
  print "</table>\n";
}

?>