Andi Gutmans wrote:
> >The problem occurs when a web-developer using a Mac editor edits PHP
> >code: If he writes PHP code and his editor uses \r as linefeeds in the
> >PHP code, then the strange phenomenon may arise.
>
> The editor only puts \r without \r\n? Wow, I've never seen a system that
> does that :) Were all Mac's like that?

It gets weirder on OS X (yes, I have one OS X box running...). It uses \r\n
*and* \n.

Macs have been that way since '84 or so.

> Anyway, I don't know why you think that worked in 4.0.4

There have been various bugs with it since 3.0.X. Specifically, things
like multi-line SQL statements, the Error/Warning line numbers reported,
etc.

> OK, seriously. This code has not been changed in between 4.0.4 and 4.0.5.
> Are you sure you weren't using a different editor?
> Isn't there a way for you to save as "\n" or "\r\n"?

Usually, there's a "unix line feed" option... but just something to
think about:
Mac OS X is expected to have 5-10 million new users adopting in the
next year.
*Every single one* of those users is getting a box with Apache+PHP
pre-installed (tho not entirely configured.)

That's a lot of "fix your linefeed" bug responses....

-Bop