>>it is not that odd because it may have treated it like whitespace - imagine
>>a long line script. now it may treat it not as whitespace and hence the
>>problem
>>
>>there is no big difference between whitespace and newline(s) in php, is it?

>Both today (4.0.6-dev) and earlier \r is treated as whitespace.
>However, in previous versions including 4.0.5 and 4.0.4pl1 "\r" would not
>mark line endings such as end of // or # comments.
>So there is no way that I can think of that a script would have worked with
>4.0.4pl1 and not with 4.0.5.
>Anyway, it doesn't really matter now because 4.0.6 should work.

And also line number don't get incremented if there are no line ends, so
all syntax errors are reported as being on line 1.

The issue might have never come up if the code used "r" mode for opens
rather that "rb", since the file are 'text' files.  On platforms that
don't used embedded newline characters as the record delimiters, the
implementation of fread is responsible for mapping the underlying file
format to cannonical form (i.e. \n's delimiting lines).