On Fri, 18 May 2001, Zeev Suraski wrote:

>At 11:21 18/5/2001, Jani Taskinen wrote:
>>As long as these extensions are in there, I think changing any of their
>>API's is a justification for 4.x release.
>
>This is simply not the way we decided to work in.  Can it be
>changed?  Sure.  Should it be changed?  In my humble opinion, no, it shouldn't.
>The thing I'm trying to state, not very successfully I guess, is that
>whether it's 4.0.7 or 4.666.3, we should be avoiding API changes as much as
>at all possible.  Sure, sometimes there's just no alternative than to break
>downwards compatibility, but we should not get into the state of mind that
>breaking downwards compatibility is ok, as long as you increment some digit
>in the version number.

You must understand that I don't like changing the API either. But
sometimes it just HAS to be changed. And one thing that should
happen when such changes are made, is to change the version number.
Why is it so sacred to you?

I didn't suggest either that if the version number is changed it's okay to
break BC..

There are now _two_ extensions that break BC. (sockets/domxml)
So is it okay to break BC in extensions? And like that one user said,
if we had pumped up the minor number he would have expected to see some
major changes. But as long as you continue this 'this is how we have
always done things' way, people WILL get pissed. Not only me.

--Jani