> On Thu, 17 May 2001, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>
> >> I don't agree. Have you noticed the thread about domxml currently running
> >> in php-dev@? Wouldn't that justify a 4.1? What would?
> >
> >No, I don't think a single extension should affect the PHP version number
> >to that extent.  But I do think we should be moving towards versioning the
> >extensions individually.
>
> Could you explain how having separate version numbers for extensions would
> help at all? As long as the extensions are distributed with the main PHP
> package, that is.

There will be more and more extensions that are not bundled with PHP, and
having a standard way to check the version of an extension is going to be
required.  This should also apply to the bundled extensions.

You also have to consider that people build bundled extensions as shared
extensions.  For example, once upon a time I built the ftp extension as
shared and I have not updated my ftp.so for quite a while even though I
have updated my libphp4.so many times.  So I am effectively using an old
bundled extension with a new version of PHP.  Right now there is no real
way to detect this, and if my code used the PHP version number and
determined that the API for the ftp extension is different now and tried
to call the ftp functions differently then my app would break as my
particular ftp extension definitely has not changed.

> As long as these extensions are in there, I think changing any of their
> API's is a justification for 4.x release.

I disagree.  Since optional extensions are not a core part of the language
and can be built and maintained separately, changes to them should not be
the main cause for bumping the major version number of PHP.  Major Changes
to the core of PHP or to any non-optional components should however.

-Rasmus