> I think it also good time to get rid of <? ?> and <?= ?> syntax
> (at least, announce <? ?> syntax is obsolete), add <?php= ?>
> syntax for replacement, since PHP4.1.0 is in release process.

What could possibly be the motivation for that?  Very few PHP users mix
XML and PHP in the same file.  Sure, it happens, but it is by no means the
common thing to do.

The only possible valid point here is that the character encoding
specification in XHTML uses <?xml version=... encoding=...?> although this
can also be done through a <meta http-equiv...> tag so it is quite
possible to write perfectly valid XHTML without forcing people to use
<?php ...?> everywhere.

-Rasmus