Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

>>I think it also good time to get rid of <? ?> and <?= ?> syntax
>>(at least, announce <? ?> syntax is obsolete), add <?php= ?>
>>syntax for replacement, since PHP4.1.0 is in release process.
>>

> What could possibly be the motivation for that?  Very few PHP users mix
> XML and PHP in the same file.  Sure, it happens, but it is by no means the
> common thing to do.

When I start using PHP, I was currious why there is no <?php= ?>
while there are <?= ?> and <%= %>.

I realized, <?php= ?> syntax is really easy to implement while I
was looking for what's wrong in memory management.

I think <?php= ?> syntax is nice to have, since it can work with
any php configuration. I also think programming language better to
be symetric whenever possible. (If there are <?=, <%=, why not <?php=)

> The only possible valid point here is that the character encoding
> specification in XHTML uses <?xml version=... encoding=...?> although this
> can also be done through a <meta http-equiv...> tag so it is quite
> possible to write perfectly valid XHTML without forcing people to use
> <?php ...?> everywhere.

I agree, I just do not prefer to use <meta> tags...
If there is people prefer to use meta tags, getting rid of <? ?>
is not good idea. "<?" start tag may confuse some new PHP users,
but it's not a big deal.

--
Yasuo Ohgaki