> I'd rather see these magic hacks to be removed altogether..
> +1 for removing short-tags and the hacks.

There are many hacks.  For example, it is completely non-SGML and non-XML
compliant to use > inside a PI tag.  So if we were to go through and
really remove all the magic hacks everyone would have to write code like:

  if($a > $b) {
      $b>>1;
  }

Just for the record, I am not against <?php=, but I am very much against
removing the short tags.

-Rasmus