Andi Gutmans wrote:

> At 12:31 AM 11/11/2001 +0100, Stig S. Bakken wrote:
> >Andi Gutmans wrote:
> > >
> > > Jani,
> > >
> > > I think in theory what you writes makes sense but it just doesn't work in
> > > the PHP project. (I'm talking about the minor versions coming out of
> > > branches). There are always cries to go with HEAD because it's got new
> > > goodies (I think it often makes sense) and then people don't want to
> > > release a second version out of a branch but want to use HEAD.
> > > All in all the release process in the past few years hasn't been that bad.
> > > I think the timing has been good and we haven't had *that* many screw-ups.
> > > What I do think we need is a couple of people who will push things forward
> > > once everyone decides that it is time to branch and start QA; so that
> > > things don't linger.
> >
> >Andi,
> >
> >If we trim down the PHP distribution to not contain as many "goodies",
> >chances are there won't be as many cries for head (no pun intended).
> >The distinction between the second and third digit is basically
> >documenting to the user the level of change in a release.
>
> I didn't quite understand what you mean :)
> All I said was that if you create a branch say "4.1.0" and you want to
> release "4.1.x" from that branch later on whilst HEAD has already moved a
> couple of months you're going to have a hard time doing it.

Yes, merging bug fixes into that branch would be more difficult.  But
certainly possible, _if_ we identify a need for small bugfix releases.

The point is that for the person having a problem with a bug in 4.1.0,
upgrading to 4.2.0 may be a problem because of all the other changes.
In this case, a 4.1.1 release containing only that bug fix would make a
lot of sense.  I've been in this situation a few times myself, and it's
not funny (X is broken in 4.0.1, 4.0.2 fixes X but breaks Y).

 - Stig