I think we should be realistic about what we can and cannot pull.  Using
this approach as the standard release process is simply not going to work -
we barely manage an RC branch and a dev branch properly, and having to
maintain an old release branch sync'd with bug fixes is not going to be
within our reach.  In very specific cases, such as the 4.1.0 -> 4.2.0
change, if there are going to be some key bugs in 4.1.0, releasing a 4.1.1
based on 4.1.0 would be in order.  Otherwise, though, I would say that
we're only toying with a non practical idea :)

Zeev