At 05:28 AM 11/12/2001 +0200, Jani Taskinen wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Andi Gutmans wrote:
>
> >I didn't quite understand what you mean :)
>
>I didn't get it first either. :)
>
> >All I said was that if you create a branch say "4.1.0" and you want to
> >release "4.1.x" from that branch later on whilst HEAD has already moved a
> >couple of months you're going to have a hard time doing it.
>
>The idea is NOT to go on for _months_ with the HEAD.
>The idea is to make it shorter by keeping the amount of
>testing smaller.
>
>And this is what the versioning stuff was aimed at too.
>
>Most people out there think that when a version number
>changes on the 'micro' part (4.1.x) it means that there
>are only bug fixes in this release and I can safely go
>ahead and update without fearing that something breaks.
>At the moment, you can't trust on this. It's definately NOT
>like "all the other projects do". Zeev suggested at some point
>that we should drop the last number altogether. That indeed would
>make the current way of doing things more correct but would not
>really solve anything in the user end..
>
>What I suggested:
>Only bug fixes go into the release branch.
>And all the nifty new features and big changes and BC breaking stuff
>go into the next release branch (HEAD). (ie. version 4.x+1.0 )
>
>It's not very far from what we are doing right now.
>We have two branches, the release one and HEAD. But what I suggested
>was to keep the release branch and commit bug fixes into it and
>release bug-fix-only-releases from it.

We can try and do this. I'm not quite sure it'll work in real life but I
think it's it's worth a try. I agree that it is not much different than
today but it requires someone who will take the job of screaming at ppl if
they commit a bug fix to HEAD and not to the release branch. Also at some
point we have to decide not to release bug fixes anymore for a certain
version but I'm quite sure it'll come naturally with the release of the
next "more major" version.

>Why would it be hard time doing it? It's not hard as long as certain
>rules are followed. It needs a bit more work and people who are dedicated
>for doing it. But the core developers ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) should first
>ratify all this stuff. :)
>
>Oh, I forgot..rules are bad..we're all volunteers..etc. crap.
>Why can't we improve this? "It has worked for so long now.." and
>that is bull too. It might have worked and might work for a while
>but if we really want to make the quality better, we have to make
>some changes.

All I meant by "it has worked for so long" is that it's not as if the
situation has been horrible. It's been pretty decent but I am all for
improvement.
IMO opinion we need to appoint a couple of people so that when there is a
concensus to branch and start the release process they will make sure it is
pushed a bit.

>Look at the bug database:
>
>803 open bug reports (feature requests, doc probs and website probs excluded)
>of which about 70% are not bugs but user errors and such.
>
>That still leaves us with over 200 reports that are real bugs.
>Some of them are in extensions which have been abandoned or the
>people who 'maintain' them don't simply care. But this is another story.
>
>(btw. in Scripting Engine related bugs there are 69 open reports.. :)

Anything interesting? :)

>--Jani ..who's getting pretty tired at banging head on the wall..

I think we're actually getting somewhere.

Andi