Two reasons:
(1) It never behaved that way, and we're not in the language design phase,
but almost 4.5 years after it got started.
(2) The Web being PHP's primary environment where system exit codes have no
meaning at all, makes this argument useless in well over 90% (est) of the cases

If (1) wasn't true, we could consider it, and frankly, chances are it would
have ended up behaving like its C counterpart.  However, because there's no
overwhelming reason to change it other than a few people not liking a
longer name for their relatively-rare usage, breaking compatibility makes
no sense.

Zeev