----- Original Message -----
From: "Zeev Suraski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> That RFC is from over a year ago, what makes you think it's going to
happen
> soon..?  It still remains to be seen if they do it in a nice, clean
> transparent way, or the Perl way :)  Anyway, the other problems plaguing
> Perl still apply (having to worry about resources&memory).

Since I dislike programming in perl I'm probably not the best to comment on
the line noise... ^H^H code that perl generates. Nor the delay from their
RFC's on bytecoding.

> Well, I think that benchmarking PHP like that out of any context is
*bound*
> to result in many people getting the wrong ideas.  So, a big disclaimer
> reading "This may not necessarily have any real world meaning" was due.

I agree. Was following up on an earlier post, had read through the benchmark
carefully and he's got disclaimers everywhere, plus this is -dev, where one
would imagine folks have a better grasp on the gap between performance
benchmarking and the real world, much less language qualities as a whole...

I've learned my lesson, this can suck up a good number of hours...

- August