ID: 14529
User updated by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Summary: script doesn't always finish output
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Feedback
Bug Type: Output Control
Operating System: Linux RH 7.2
PHP Version: 4.1.1
New Comment:

I tried the latest snapshot a few weeks ago and after some difficulty
getting it to run this script (as I discovered it won't let me connect
to mysql using localhost) it crashed my IE when I tried loading the
script.

When I use another browser (on my linux box) it gives me the connection
lost error again.

I haven't tried it with the latest snapshot (so it's a few weeks
outdated).  I'll go get it and try it right now.

Derick was asking if you have problem with 4.2.0-dev....
http://snaps.php.net/

Have tried using PHP 4.1.1 now and output is still being cut off.

It seems to do this when there is a very long string in a variable.  For
example I have my one program create all the body of an HTML file into
one variable such as $body.  Other variables handle other sections of
the HTML code such as $header, $body_tag, etc.  This way many different
modules can all have control over the page output regardless of when
they are called.  But if the output gets fairly large in one variable,
then the script seems to stop output (NOT NECESSARILY while outputing
that variable but could be in the middle of an echo statement further
down.  It's as if it can only handle echoing a limited amount HTML.  I'm
not talking about the variable being huge either, just a couple of pages
worth of text.

I tried changing the default 8MB of memory a script can use up to
20MB.

Currently I have output buffering turned to Off.  If I turn it on it
seems to handle it better but still have problems.

Sorry, What I first thought to be consistant is proving me wrong.  The
end bracket is now making no difference whether the page loads
completely or not.  It seemed to at first but now there is no
difference.

A new discovery is that on some pages even with Output_buffering set to
On, it is also halting output to HTML code.

It is also crashing many times whereas a request to a page (or simple
refresh) is sometimes just hanging or returning very quickly that the
page is not available (and upon a refresh it loads again).

4.1.0 had some wise moves made with the session handling so globals can
be turned off.  I've been waiting for this improvement for sometime, but
4.1.0 is simply too buggy and unstable.  I've tried a couple of the new
developments but am finding other problems with them the strongest being
my code to connect to my MySQL database no longer works in the newer
versions (4.2.0-dev).  I am giving up and going back to 4.0.6  Until the
serious bugs are removed from a version with the better session
handling.

If you need me to test other things I'd be happy to, just let me know.

Went back to PHP 4.1.0 and have tried numerous things and found a
consistency causing the problem (don't understand why though).

If the URL is something such as:
http://www.domain.com/test/control_panel
scripting stops part ways through unless I have output_buffering On
if the URL is:
http://www.domain.com/test/control_panel/
(notice the end /) it works just fine with output_buffering on OR off

When I drop back to PHP4.0.6 it doesn't matter if the end '/' is there
or not.

I must point out that this script forces a virtual URL in that it
actually is running a PHP script called test and everything else on the
URL is simply virtual pages telling the test script what it is to be
doing.  On static pages I have not tested this to see if the '/' is
missing that there is a problem.

Perhaps apache needs different configuration when using PHP4.1.0 over
PHP4.0.6 to overcome the end '/' tag.  Now that I know this bug, I can
easily overcome it in my code (all links already do this but for test
pages I just manually type it in and have always left the end '/' off as
it worked in previous versions of PHP).

Just in case I tested it with both magic_quotes on and off in both 4.0.6
and 4.1.0 and it still works in 4.0.6 and not in 4.1.0

Either way this problem is not as serious anymore as this slight fix (in
knowing the '/' is needed) means I'm no longer having half pages
displayed.

Tried using the snap shot and it will no longer let me connect to my
MySQL database so I couldn't run the page I've been doing the testing
on.

Did the format for mysql_connect change in this version?

I can still connect to it from the Linux prompt itself so it's still
running.  In phpinfo() the section on mysql looks exactly the same
except MYSQL_MODULE_TYPE (4.1.0 reports 'none' the 4.2.0-dev reports
'builtin') yet I used the same configure line (both used built in - I've
never figured out how to get it to use the installed MySQL perhaps
because it's installed from rpm files and library file just don't exist
- but not too sure what I am supposed to be looking for there).

    http://bugs.php.net/?id=14529

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=14529&edit=1