ID: 14529
User updated by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Summary: script doesn't always finish output
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Feedback
Bug Type: Output Control
Operating System: Linux RH 7.2
PHP Version: 4.1.1
New Comment:

found some new things that may help.

On the pages that didn't finish loading I discovered my PHP generated
code missed a end </font> tag.  So I added it in and it displays the
entire page now (weird that PHP4.0.6 didn't have this problem).

BUT the problem of it crashing IE6.0 still happens in PHP4.1.1.  It is
as if there is header information that isn't being sent properly.  When
I use a linux box rather than crashing it pops up an error window
saying Error, connection to server was dropped.

The way to duplicate this is simply go to a page that loaded fine a
minute ago and click refresh (and 1/3 will crash).  I've tried this on
smaller scripts and it doesn't crash but it does on this larger program
which uses many different functions of PHP so I'm wondering if a
function that is used is what causes the problem.

Any ideas of how I can narrow the test down to find what exactly causes
the conflict (maybe a combination of functions)?

The script varies depending on the pages function (many includes) and
can be as many as 5000 lines long in some places.  It runs perfectly
smooth in PHP4.0.1 -> PHP4.0.6 but not in PHP4.1.0 or newer.  I'll try
todays latest snap again (previous one didn't work either).

Ok. Please test it when the site is up.
If you find any new problem in snapshots, please submit bug report for
it :)

BTW, output control code differs in 4.2.0, so this problem may be fixed
in 4.2.0.

http://snaps.php.net seems to be down now (get message
saying host doesn't exist) so I'll have to try it another
day

I tried the latest snapshot a few weeks ago and after some difficulty
getting it to run this script (as I discovered it won't let me connect
to mysql using localhost) it crashed my IE when I tried loading the
script.

When I use another browser (on my linux box) it gives me the connection
lost error again.

I haven't tried it with the latest snapshot (so it's a few weeks
outdated).  I'll go get it and try it right now.

Derick was asking if you have problem with 4.2.0-dev....
http://snaps.php.net/

Have tried using PHP 4.1.1 now and output is still being cut off.

It seems to do this when there is a very long string in a variable.
For example I have my one program create all the body of an HTML file
into one variable such as $body.  Other variables handle other sections
of the HTML code such as $header, $body_tag, etc.  This way many
different modules can all have control over the page output regardless
of when they are called.  But if the output gets fairly large in one
variable, then the script seems to stop output (NOT NECESSARILY while
outputing that variable but could be in the middle of an echo statement
further down.  It's as if it can only handle echoing a limited amount
HTML.  I'm not talking about the variable being huge either, just a
couple of pages worth of text.

I tried changing the default 8MB of memory a script can use up to
20MB.

Currently I have output buffering turned to Off.  If I turn it on it
seems to handle it better but still have problems.

    http://bugs.php.net/?id=14529

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=14529&edit=1