Hello,

Zak Greant wrote:

> On 2002-12-01 09:23, Manuel Lemos wrote:
>
>   [cut]
>
> > His follow messages just confirm what I said.
>
>   I find intolerance in both sides of the argument.

Agreed, but that did not happen because of no reason.

When somebody steps on your feet deliberately what do you do? Certainly
you will not say "Thank you hit again"!

> > >   But Derick *does* spend time helping me.* :) I still think that with
> > > just a teeny bit of restraint on both sides, this would not happen.
> >
> > I was kidding, but since you took it seriously, just by going to
> > http://bugs.php.net/search.php I can see that there 920 outstand bug
> > reports to be addressed. How come anybody can think that "repressing
> > Manuel" is a better way to spend time than fixing all those bugs? I
> > looks like Derick wants to show off and exhibit his official @php.net
> > badge and act like a PHP mailing lists "watchdog". Never mind, lets let
> > him figure that he'd better have a life of his own instead of bothering
> > to step on others' feet.
>
>   Manuel, Derick spends a fabulous amount of time on improving PHP. I
>   very much respect his effort and generally quiet, determined demeanor.
>
>   He is not showing off his status. He is venting frustration that many
>   in the community feel. Many of the long and loud threads on this list
>   over the last little while have been pointless fights...

Zak, Derick started it by turning this thread into a pointless fight as
you say.

>   You defend yourself so vigorously and take offense so quickly that
>   people have trouble relating to you.

If and when you ever be faced by misunderstanding and bias against you,
you will understand me.

> [cut]
>
> > It was not intended, but now you have to face the justice or Mr. Net cop
> > Derick.
>
>   Actually I don't - in fact, I don't recall ever having been troubled by
>   those who disagree with you.  I am probably the least adept of the people
>   actively involved with the development effort and I make a lot of mistakes
>   and foolish suggestions, yet no one troubles me...

Sorry, when I said "you" I mean somebody that could be me or anybody
that has to put up with a net cop like person, not that it will happen
to you.

> > Just to relax, you know that 4 years ago I wrote a book named something
> > that would be translated as  "Being on the Internet". I have one chapter
> > that talks about typical behaviours that the Internet make outstand in
> > users. One of the described behaviours is what I called the "Net Cop".
> > It is that guy that thinks of himself of a big shot that knows all and
> > is going to fix the world by repressing others. Derick just reminded me
> > of a Net Cop. Anyway, I tend to understand people like him, because as I
> > explained in the book, usually people just repress others because they
> > are or at least were repressed by others in the past. Despite they hated
> > it, they just do the same and repress others with shouting at them with
> > public messages to try to humilliate them, just like Derick tried. Never
> > mind, nothing that some good analysis sessions would not solve! :-)
>
>   Manuel, you are very intelligent and have the benefit of being older than
>   many of us on the list - why can't you identify your own behavior in the
>   bad things that you attribute to others?

I was attacked and I feel that I have the right to respond to protect me
from being humilliated by kids like Derick that have to intention
respect me.

>   I believe that you are a net cop. Derick certainly is not - I somewhat am

So, you did not what understand (or I was not able to explain) what a
net cop is. A net cop is just a person that voluntarily sits that and
try to police people just to nailed them sometimes imposing public
humilliation. That is what Derick did by his own initiative. Regardless
if he or anybody liked my response, he should not forget that was just a
reaction to his attact to my person.

>   -- just by the virtue of not being able to leave other people's
>   discussions well enough alone. :)  Anyone remember when I was *stupid*
>   enough to try and moderate the last big fight between Zeev and Sascha?

No. :-)

> > Anyway, talking about books, and to not completely waste this thread I
> > have just skimmed your book, PHP Functions Essential Reference. I must
> > congratulate you and your co-authors for the book. It is a very good
> > approach to make turn a reference manual into a much more useful PHP
> > programming hand book.
>
>   Thank you! We worked hard on providing cookbook-style examples
>   to match the reference material.

No problem, I know that it is very hard to write books and at the same
time provide good value for the reader in such way that it motivates
them to buy them.

> > I am sorry I could not yet find time to publish a review in the PHP
> > Classes site because I have been very busy with things that gave me a
> > lot of work like completely removing the uses of strtok function from
> > the site code because PHP developers broke it after version 4.0.6 and I
> > could not avoid the upgrade to use the APC cache to speedup the site
> > service.
>
>   This is an example of the negative behavior that we discuseed. Everyone
>   know that you have issues with this. Each time that you bring it up
>   without adding any constructive input with it, it makes people angry.

I am not bringing it up to cause any sort of reaction as you suggest but
rather give you an idea that I have been busy dealing with these
problems and so I could not work on anything else. It is quite clear
that being constructive does not help for some people. I think that
child psychology would be more effective, like telling a child to not do
something you want her to do, but I am not such an hypocrit to do that.

>   If I found what I considered to be a flaw in Metabase, and
>   continually hounded you on the "problem" without offering any compromise
>   or assistance, you would likely not find me very good company.

Actually I find more valuable the people that have the guts to speak up
what they think, even if they defy my points of view, rather than stay
quite in the background boycotting my initiatives.

Just to give you an example, I had people bugging so much that Metabase
did not offer a object based interface, that when I figired how to
provide it without compromising the original functions based interface,
I did it. Nobody provided the solution, they only bring the problem.
Since some people claimed that was a reason for not adopting Metabase,
that was enough for me to wonder about a viable solution that I found.
Still, using objects is problematic due to the risk of inadvertedly
cloning the object if no proper care is taken, but that is a problem of
PHP that people that want to use the object interface have to deal with
care.

> > I probably only have time to review your book in February because I am
> > still very busy with a new release of Metabase to be out on its second
> > anniversary since its first public release that will happen on the 18th.
> > There are a few inovating features that I want release but I have to
> > work a lot to make it happen in time. Then I need to get back to MetaL
> > developement that will also have its first public release soon,
> > hopefully some time next month. But don't worry I will make a nice
> > review of your book anytime until then.
>
>   No worries on timing.

I am sure the wait will pay. Any new review is notified to over 30.000
subscribers of the site. That will provide good exposure and I hope that
helps to sell the book as I know that it is not easy to live from book
writing.

Regards,
Manuel Lemos