From: Lukas Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2002 12:38 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [PHP-DEV] <?= and <%= both work, why not <?php=

> If, as you imply, '<?=' and '<%=' are such a horrible "disease" that
their
> very existance is proof that '<?php=' would be a syntactic travesty.
Why
> were they allowed in the first place?  If they were implemented "due
> popular demand", why is popular demand not sufficient for '<?php='?

I think the argument was that <?php was ment to be the standard (and
therefore clean way)

while <? And <% is for the short hand freaks :-)

Remember that one of the huge advantages of php is code readability. If
you want short hand you can either use stuff like <% or move over to
perl.

As an aside: what do you do most? Write or read/maintain code? Then
think again about short hand stuff.

So Rasmus's argument seems quite sound in my eyes.

Best regards,
Lukas Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
_______________________________
 DybNet Internet Solutions GbR
 Reuchlinstr. 10-11
 Gebäude 4 1.OG Raum 6 (4.1.6)
 10553 Berlin
 Germany
 Tel. : +49 30 83 22 50 00
 Fax : +49 30 83 22 50 07
 www.dybnet.de [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: [PHP-DEV] <?= and <%= both work, why not <?php=
>
> Ok.  #1 is the first logical, technical reason I've seen against the
> shorthand being fully implemented (though it begs the question why it
was
> partially implemented in the first place).
>
> I'm not to knowledgeable about SGML specifics (and I can't afford to
spend
> $200+ for a copy of the spec so I can spend a few weeks learning it
just
> for
> this), so I can't go into that, but extending this to XML is a falacy,
> because PHP comparison syntax breaks the XML spec.  I'm pretty sure
that
> <%
> echo $var %> (valid PHP) would cause most XML parsers to choke.
>
> As for #2 there's no flaw with the logic until you assume that '<?php
echo
> '
> is somehow inherently more readable than '<?php= '.  That's a matter
of
> opinion either way.
>
> By the time you get to #3, however, you've resorted to dreaming up new
> unrequested language extensions, and references to 'magic' to support
your
> argument.  I, and others, would argue that '<?php=' is no more 'magic'
> than
> '<?php echo'.  We know what it means.
>

> If you really do want some equivalent to your proposed '<?php~
$foo:$bar
> ?>', then I might suggest '<?php= isset($foo)?$foo:$bar ?>', which I
> believe
> would already work as '<?php echo isset($foo)?$foo:$bar ?>', '<?=
> isset($foo)?$foo:$bar ?>'.
>
>       - Theo

Figuring