> Perhaps if it were a computer making these assumptions, yes. But anyone
> with half a brain can see that <?php echo 'Hello'; ?> is much easer to
> understand for someone with no programming experience, than:
> <?php='Hello'?>.

Agreed, Sterling. I can't understand why this is so difficult to realize.
Theo, are you just trying to impress people by saying how easy the cryptic
syntax is? If so, it's not working.

> I, and others, would argue that '<?php=' is no more 'magic' than
> '<?php echo'.  We know what it means.

Seriously, Theo, this list isn't a place where everyone's ego is on the
line. This is like arguing that the ternary operator in C is more
intuitive than just writing the "long" if statement. Just because you and
others know what it means is *not* a valid argument. This isn't a contest.
You seem to have gotten the wrong impression.

I for one am glad that PHP has remained as clean as it is. It is certainly
a factor in PHP's success.

> Thanks for the tip, we didn't realize that.

Well, Sterling, the sarcasm might have ben a bit harsh, but I must admit I
laughed out loud when I read it. :)

It's too bad really that <?= and <%= are valid. I can guess why, but it
leads to useless conversations like this.

Chris