On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 08:54, Martin Jansen wrote:
> On 21 May 2002 08:46:54 +0200, Stig S. Bakken wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 08:13, Sebastian Bergmann wrote:
> >>   I think we should make '--with-zlib' the default, and add
> >>   '--disable-zlib', for the PHP 4.3.0 release, since the PEAR Installer
> >>   relies on it.
> >
> >It's not supposed to, I've added "nocompress" options everywhere needed,
> >so it should work just fine without zlib:
>
> I could have sworn that I got an error message some days ago when
> using PEAR on a pretty recent PHP version without zlib, but I
> may be wrong..
>
> >Even if you enable zlib by default, PHP does not bundle zlib, it would
> >not be available on every system, and the installer would have to
> >support uncompressed packages anyway.
>
> But it does not do any harm if we enable it by default, no? Additionally
> we would also save some bandwidth then. (Yes, I know that most PEAR
> packages are < 20 KB :-).

Oh, I don't mind enabling zlib by default, maybe I got too caught up in
explaining why this wouldn't solve the problem completely. ;-)  +1 on
enabling zlib by default, but the "disable" option should be
--without-zlib.

Anyway, if we want to save bandwidth, there should be both bz2 files
available too.  Does the bzip2 extension work in Windows?

 - Stig