My point was to have cli, cgi and mod_php in one go.
But now we only have cli or not and allways any other
module which defaults to cgi.

For me the bast way would be enabling/diabling any
module you like and hving cli allways until disabled and
havin cgi if no other module than cli is enabled and it is
not diabled by configure option.