On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 08:01:29PM -0400, Dan Kalowsky wrote:
> On Thursday, September 26, 2002, at 06:36 PM, Jon Parise wrote:
> >Isn't it generally better (where "better" means more secure,
> >efficient, and easily maintained) to handle database access control
> >using PostgreSQL's native access mappings?
>
> Yep.  Thus why it was created :)

please explain to me how you think this might work?

the postgres security model is "table" based, not "database" based.
(a database being a collection of tables)

it is not possible to do the same thing as this patch within pgsql.

given a webserver setup, running as user "web" and group "web", all pgsql
calls are going to come from that user.

theoretically, you could use the username/password facilities of pgsql,
but in order for that to work, you must delegate the ability to
add/remove/modify pgsql users, and then you need to control who can manage
which user.

this patch adds a minor, but very useful, facility to say "this" virtual
host can only access "that" database.

with that facility, it becomes easier to add appropriate security within
that virtual host's data, and not have to worry about other users writing
code that dips into their data.

--
[ Jim Mercer        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          I want to live forever, or die trying.            ]