On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 09:00:17PM -0400, Ilia A. wrote:
> It is not a job of the programming language to implement system, database
> security. This is simply not done. If you want to secure your PostgreSQL more
> so that you can with the current tools, the people you should be talking to
> are the PostgreSQL developers. It is up to them to develop and implement
> various database access controls and security measures.
> Just because it may be easy to hack up PHP to implement this, it does
> not mean this is the correct approach.

oh, please.

PHP is full of tweaks and hacks specifically to augment and make easier the
job of the people using it.

the whole point of PHP is to make it easier to accomplish things either
with other apps, or by going around them.

at this point i have not seen any technical argument as to why this patch
is inappropriate.

all i've gotten so far is a bunch of crap about whose responsibility it is
to secure things.

the patch i've submitted in no way harms the ability of php to do its job, and
only enhances its ability to help more people make more effective use of PHP.

if php-dev is not interested in such suggestions, i'll back off and not bother
you again.

sorry if my providing a complete patch to add this functionality took you
away from more important things.

--
[ Jim Mercer        [EMAIL PROTECTED]         +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          I want to live forever, or die trying.            ]