I see the known-good codeset conversion implementation as a *very* good
reason to have mbstring enabled by default.
(Just look at all the problems with iconv and recode on different systems
out there).

I agree that the magic features for lazy programmers (function overloading
and transparent encoding) are slightly worrying, but they are disabled
by default, and as I have said - I don't use those, but I do use the
conversion functions and *that* configuration works just fine.

The conversion functions are something that really should be there by
default, as it allows people to write portable globalized scripts.
Remember that a large majority of users are vhosted and have not control
over the build of PHP.  By not providing a reliable and portable
codeset conversion API, we are holding back "the masses" from writing
(and distributing) "killer apps" in PHP.

Yes, I can enable mbstring at configure time, and yes, the CJK people
can do likewise, but what about the rest of the world running from vhosts
when they want to use unicode, quoted-printable, uu-encoding, <name of your
favourite encoding here> encodings which are also supported by mbstring?

We took the decision to enable it by default; let's not be short-sighted
and disable it primarily out of ignorance (no offence intended).

I've yet to see someone comment on my suggestions for a practical solution
that would shut up both myself and the people advocating disabling it.

--Wez.