I completely agree with Wez.
mbstring has very foundamental functionalities for multibyte users.
Multibyte users can 'not' build any useful application without mbstring.
We must understand there are so many users who are using multibyte
character encoding.
multibyte string functions for multibyte users has nealy same meaning
with string functions for singlebyte users.
If PHP lacks string functions, who can use PHP ?

I think mbstring enabled by default in PHP 4.3 is very good decision.

'function overloading' in mbstring is to make easier multibyte-aware
application, but, it is disabled by default.
I also agree with Wez, the official zend API for function overloading
is needed. I will change the implemantaion if some official API
is available.

Rui