At 05:18 PM 11/8/2002 -0500, Andrei Zmievski wrote:
On Sat, 09 Nov 2002, Andi Gutmans wrote:
> I am very much against anything like this.
> Improving strlen()'s performance only will have a negligible performance
> impact on a real world script.
> With the same kind of argument you could probably find 10-20 functions
> which would be faster if you'd make opcodes for them. That's not really
> what you'd want to do.
> Also, the patch isn't quite the same functionality wise because strlen in
> your patch is a reserved word. This isn't my main problem though as it
> could be solved.

Just out of curiousity, what are the problems with making it a reserved
word and how could it be solved?
What if you wanted to have a constant STRLEN? It would break.
It could be solved by doing strcmp()'s during the compilation of a function and checking if the function name is strlen().

> If you want to really help improve performance of real-world scripts then
> try and find a way to improve performance of *all* function calls, i.e., of
> the extension API; and not by moving functions from the extension API into
> the core.

No big deal. This just came up at the PHP conference in Germany during a
chat with George and Thies.
I could have guessed Thies had a hand in it :)

Andi