Do you think strlen() is actually called that often?  And isn't it a
relatively quick function as it is?  Just seems like you are optimizing a
function that isn't actually called that often and when it is called
having a 25% speedup on a function that takes a tiny fraction of the
overall execution time isn't going to be noticeable.

I wouldn't be against perhaps opcoding some functions, just not sure
strlen() would be my first candidate.

-Rasmus