> I think starting with a concrete proposal before it's not clear if we
> even want this localized errors thing seems rather time-wasting. What
> you call bickering, I call discussing, and IMO we're not yet done
> discussing if we want this at all.

    Well, there won't be a consensus regarding i18n facilities
    any time soon on php-dev.  I can post some hilarious quotes
    from your funny IRC channel to demonstrate that point.

    Hence, the only way to move this forward is to actually code
    something up and enable extension authors to provide i18n
    error messages.

    The first step consists of adding the necessary look-up code
    to PHP itself; the second step is building the infrastructure
    for maintaining and generating message catalogues; the third
    step consists of assigning error codes to extensions; and as
    the final step, translators can actually commence to build
    the message catalogues.

    - Sascha