On 27 Nov 2002 01:49:54 +0100 "Stig S. Bakken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 12:11, Maxim Maletsky wrote:
> > Derick Rethans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote... :

> > > I don't care what others think about the usability, I
> > > only know that adding these localized things brings more work for me
> > > when working on PHP.
> >
> > That sounds selfish of us, Derick.
>
> How on earth can you say that?  Derick has received an _throphy_ for
> spending his spare time on the painful process of managing PHP releases,
> he knows what he is talking about, and it is not a selfish opinion.

I am in no way insulting Derick for his great work. Caring of usability
is what I also think of an importance. Open Source is very often
critized for that - we should care, IMO.

> Maintenance overhead hurts PHP.  And our maint.overhead curve is going
> up.  We should strive to _reduce_ that overhead, not increase it.  That
> way php-dev will be more productive and give even the our users what
> they really need: a (continously) solid product.

As you said - PHP is a big project and maintainance overhead hurts it.
Just this is not the limit, I think - we can add such innovations as
error codes on upcoming major releases. Unless a common agreement isn't
reached.

---
Maxim Maletsky
[EMAIL PROTECTED]