Hi all,

(sorry if you receive it duplicate, but it did not seem to make the list
last time.)

On Wednesday, December 4, 2002, at 02:49 PM, Derick Rethans wrote:

Hello,

while browsing the CVS I found that the following functions were added
to the CVS recently:

+       PHP_FE(snmpv3get, NULL)
+       PHP_FE(snmpv3walk, NULL)
+       PHP_FE(snmpv3realwalk, NULL)
+       PHP_FALIAS(snmpv3walkoid, snmpv3realwalk, NULL)
+       PHP_FE(snmpv3set, NULL)

But those functionnames don't adhere to our nameing guidelines.
Naming guidelines?? Which I look the last time at some pointers
given for this, but I could not find naming guidelines. It would help
if you can point me to the precise part defining this.

 As those
are new functions I propose to change them to the following, to be more
consistent with all other functions:

snmpv3get      -> snmp3_get
snmpv3walk     -> snmp3_walk
snmpv3realwalk -> snmp3_real_walk (or snmp3_walk_oid)
snmpv3set      -> snmp3_get

I have mentioned this some time ago already on the list. (See archive)
I believe it is way easier for people to recognise the SNMPv3
version by people with the current naming. On top of that I can
understand all of your concerns, but it is my opinion we have to think
what is the easiest for the users/programmers of PHP.

IMHO, the current naming refers quite clearly to SNMP version 3
or SNMPv3. Many people know this version of the protocol as SNMPv3.
I beleive that the original functions did neither have an '_'
character. Why is that required suddenly??

(This states more or less the same opinion as expressed last time)

I also would like to mention that I am looking into the usage
of an SNMP-session creation and then use a single variable to
provide all SNMP-session info in a single variable for the
'data retrieval' functions. Therefore, I would like
to reserve the use of the underscore and then without a version
number.

also, there is no need to introduce an alias for a newly created
function so I guess we just should drop it.
I have created a similar set of functions as exist for SNMPv1.
That includes the alias. That makes it easier for existing scripts
to be updated with the new security featres of SNMPv3.

I'd like to make those proposed changes ASAP as they are also added in
the PHP_4_3 branch which gets closer to release everyday.
Personally, I do not prefer and like the name change suggested.

The name snmp3_ looks to me quite weird, since the world
knows this as SNMPv3. Therefore, the use of snmpv3 is preferred.
I am even tending to give it a -1, but there is not technical
reason. But there is neither a good technical reason
in favour of the name change.