> > As Leon has suggested, why not just compile the variants into different
> > directories?  Say add a "cli/" (since the CLI is newer).  Only one
> directory
> > would go into the PATH (presumably).
> >

> That would also affect the ini setting for extension_dir. The default
> value is ./ indicating the same directory as the executable. I would
> prefer everthing to be in the same directory. This way I dont have to mess
> with php.ini when I have multiple installations on the same system.

Yes, that's true.  On the other hand, there's something strange about
php.ini's extension_dir and the extensions directory.  I found it a lot
easier and cleaner to wipe out that line from php.ini than move all the
extension up a directory.  (If you don't set extension_dir, it uses
"c:\php4\extensions".)  Wow, I guess I may have really stepped in it because
I was just about to suggest the php.ini default setting change. ;)

Leon