Cutting down on the list of receipients here...

Philip please do not put this paragraph into the documentation. If there is any sure fire way to ensure that the latest version of PHP WON'T be installed on a system... it's to encourage end users to contact their system administrator.

Although I don't have any better solution at this time... give me another 18 hours to free my brain of things and I might do much better at this.