> > That said, we could possibly have a fast mode and use fstat() to get some
> > device information on the open file. I am worried about functionality
> > though. I'm not sure it's worth breaking.
>
> The question here is whether it's worthwhile to optimize for
> the case where you have 30+ includes per page.  Is it that
> common?
Yes, I'm as a PHP-developer (developing _with_ PHP :-), I can say, my
site has a well-organized dir-structure, I uses a _lot_ of includes, in
some requests, it's over 30 (it's depends on the request, because i use
a main script as a wrapper for other scripts..)

>     I think that sites where this actually matters should employ
>     some form of preprocessing for their scripts where
>     include/require directives get interpolated by the contents
>     of the respective file.  This can be easily implemented
>     either in about 50 LOC of PHP or sh/awk.  That won't work of
>     course, if you rely heavily on dynamic includes where the
>     filename is determined at run-time.
WKO preprocessing do you think?

Miham.