On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 15:41, George Schlossnagle wrote:
> On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 03:20  PM, Harald Radi wrote:
>
> > Hrmfpsd,
> >
> > while commiting a new functions the parameter parsing API i appearently
> > brought up a discussion about the meaning of life and stuff :) As
> > asked by
> > Andi i'm bringing the discussion to php5-dev with a short summary:
> >
> > andrei's point:
> > extensions should stick to either functional or oo API
> > PEAR wrappers can be provided
> >
> > my point:
> > extensions should expose both APIs (if desired)
> > can be done by aliasing functions to class methods -> no duplicate c
> > code
> > when called as function -> print warning
> > when called as method -> throw exception
> >
> > What do you guys think of this ?
>
> I like your method.  I've implemented it for a coupe extensions (except
> for the exception vs. error thing), and I found it to be quite
> manageable and very little work.

Needless to say (it was implemented in adt quite awhile ago), I think
this is the better way.  In any event, I don't see the downside to
adding this api:  Whomever wants to use it can take advantage of it,
those who think its stupid, don't need to use it.

-Sterling

--
"Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to
 build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying