that would be a big step back again for several reasons:

-) if done in c code you have one function serving as function and method,
thus you have the same order/amount of arguments for the function _and_ the
method.
-) if something changes in the code, it automatically changes for the function
and the method, if we had a pear class someone would have to maintain that.
-) we finally brought down the cost of handling object beeing virtually the
same as for handling resources, so why should we try that hard to make the
damn thing slow again ?
-) the errorhandling issue is not (easily) coverable if we simple wrap the
funcitons as pear classes.

harald