With the util libraries, I'd concur with Matthew.

Right now it is kind of undefined I agree but I also am not sure that is
necessarily an issue to be honest. What is the problem solved by creating
formal processes around the util libraries?

You call out simplecache-util, I don't think the problem there is a lack of
formal process for util libraries. It appears to either be that it's just
not necessary/no demand for anything there or nobody is willing to put the
time into doing it. I don't think a formal process is the answer there?

Also, most of the util libraries need very little to no maintenance as they
are designed to be kept simple and uncontroversial. Maintaining a group
around each of those seems quite heavy and probably would result in more
time spent on the admin than the actual project itself.

I think conceptually something like what is proposed [PERs] make sense for
things like coding standards but I would note that it is also very helpful
to be able to clearly delineate versions and call out that one is meeting a
standard (PSR-12 or PSR-2). Nobody wants standards to be... too fast moving
or agile, perhaps a version a year at maximum velocity for example.

So perhaps when establishing a PER there is a defined maximum release
schedule velocity and a strict scope of what 'evolution' looks like (e.g.
stuff is only added due to new or mutated PHP functionality, to clarify, or
to reflect changes in the ecosystem for coding standards, not just add
whatever you wish whenever you want).

I also think backwards compatibility [in the sense of not changing things
but only being additive as any standard change is a BC break in the usual
sense of the word] and simplistic versioning (e.g. PER-CodingStandards V1,
V2, V3 where they are additive or clarificatory, not mutating) I think
would be critical to the success of the idea of PERs, over something like
semantic versioning which automatically implies three levels of versioning
and the idea of "BC" breaks. I can't see people wanting to be maintaining
automation tools or projects that are dealing with a standard that is being
updated too frequently or has complex versions determining which versions
of the standard are supported (tooling) or which version is implemented
(projects).

Many thanks,
Michael