On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 10:42 AM Matthew Weier O'Phinney <
mweierophin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My main question is why the Util libraries would move to the PER process.
>
> Currently, these have been developed to provide features complementary to
> a given standard:
>
> - cache-util and simplecache-util provides boilerplate that will be used
> in most implementations, as well as default "in memory" implementations.
> - http-util provides constants used for request methods and response
> status codes
>
> In each case, I'd argue they're less "evolving standards" as they are
> libraries tracking common usage or tracking non-FIG standards to provide
> commonly used artifacts. In other words, they are _libraries_, not
> _recommendations_.

I understand the point you are trying to make here, but I also worry that
packages like `http-util` have become rather stagnant and are (oddly)
difficult to work with. For instance `StatusCodeInterface::STATUS_OK` is
incredibly verbose. Something like `HttpStatus::OK` would be far more
elegant to work with. And when Enums are available, this package would
really benefit from adopting them.

My point here is that even if the util packages are "libraries" they don't
appear to update and evolve like I would expect a library to.

--
Woody Gilk
https://www.shadowhand.com