On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:50:40 -0400, Miles Thompson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For a Windows environment I'll endorse jeremy's recommendation
> of Ultraedit -- my hammer of choice.

Am I the only one using HoTMetal Pro 6.0 on Windows?

Its PHP support has a very annoying bug when it encounters embedded
HTML output contained within PHP standard tags, but using PHP long
tags fixes that problem.  Long tags help in other ways too, because
they make HoTMetaL format your PHP script text as-is, letting you
control indenting of the PHP text the way you want.

And as long as you're not trying to embed HTML output inside your PHP
tags, you can use PHP short tags in contexts where they make the most
sense, like printing the contents of a single variable:

  VALUE="<?=$cardtype?>"

Notice the omission of the "print" command.  That's a neat little
trick I learned from Matt Zandstra's book.  Very helpful for quick
output of a single variable.

One thing I can no longer live without, is HoTMetaL's integrated FTP
support.  It's so good, the FTP site becomes part of your desktop.

I can open a remote FTP file for some quick changes, without even
storing it locally on my hard drive.  And then just as quickly, save
it back to the FTP site with the touch of one toolbar button.

OTOH, after an editing session where I make extensive changes to the
local copy of my project, its FTP file synchronization is everything I
could ask for.

And did I mention its excellent support for different HTML views like
tags-on, WYSIWYG, and raw source?

Did I mention its excellent table design and manipulation facilities?

Did I mention its project management?

Did I mention ...

Yes I could go on and on.  You get a screwdriver and some wrenches
with your hammer.  It's available at Amazon, discounted to about $70.

Egan